.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Catholic of Conscience

Thursday, February 13, 2014

September 2005


Hank and I got married last month. It was a wonderful day. I was stressed out all morning, with a few last minute glitches, but once the wedding started, everything worked out beautifully, and we were both so happy.

We went to Montreal for a couple of days, and then to Mexico for a week. While in Mexico, we went to a Spanish-speaking Mass, which was really neat. The church was very different, but the Mass was just the same. Except for the music, which was different than the hymns we have here. I wasn't able to go to Communion there, because I hadn't been to Confession since before Hank and I had our last pre-marital "slip!"

Now that I'm married, and that issue is over, I thought I'd be able to go to Communion every single weekend. Not so. I haven't even been to Communion once since I've been married! Because I still haven't got to Confession! Can you believe it?

I meant to go. I went to a Thursday morning mass just before the wedding, thinking that there would be confessions heard just before the Mass. But there weren't, and I was too embarrassed to ask the priest afterwards.

At our rehearsal the night before the wedding, I meant to ask the priest if he would hear my confession when we were finished with the rehearsal, but I forgot. There was so much going on (especially when the priest suddenly sprung it on us that we'd be saying our own vows instead of repeating the traditional ones), that it slipped right out of my mind.

And so I got married without having been to Confession. We didn't have a Mass, since Hank and his family aren't Catholic, so there was no Eucharist at the wedding, but I had still wanted to start my marriage off with that clean, just-Confessed feeling. Oh, well.

But I have no excuse for not having gone yet! Just my own laziness.

Anyway, the wedding was wonderful, the honeymoon perfect, and now we're back in real life. Married life. It's nice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home