.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Catholic of Conscience

Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Attendance

Just a few months ago, I returned to the Church. I started going to Mass. Soon, I even resolved to give up having sex with my fiance until our wedding, so that I could go to Confession, and then Communion. The poor guy isn't even Catholic, but he was willing to attempt this with me, with only minimal complaints. Every once in a while, we'd fall off the wagon, but I'd head back to Confession, resolved to sin no more.

Soon this arrangement started to seem hypocritical. Once we'd had a few "falls," going to Confession became farcical. I knew I was going to "fall" again. Knowing this, how could I, in good conscience, confess? I decided to stop going to Communion, until I was ready to honestly resolve not to have sex again until the wedding.

This too, seemed silly. I was back where I had started, going to Mass, but unable to go to Communion. Receiving Christ in the Eucharist is what Mass is all about -- what Catholicism is all about. And here I am, unable to participate, feeling farther and farther from grace.

A couple of weeks ago, I was too lazy to get out of bed, and I missed Mass. My church offers a Sunday evening Mass, but I couldn't attend that because I was meeting my father in Toronto and taking him out for dinner for Father's Day. So I missed Mass entirely, for the first time since my return to the Church.

It's much more difficult to get together the motivation to get out to Mass when I know I won't be partaking in the Eucharist. I know that missing Mass is a mortal sin, but what's one more mortal sin? Just something else to confess, before I can go back to Communion. Add it to the list.

And then, last weekend, I entirely forgot about Church. I went to a party Saturday night, and then spent Sunday cleaning the apartment and just hanging around. Mass didn't even occur to me until the next day, when I realized I'd missed it entirely.

Obviously, just a few months of church-going has not made it enough of a habit. Equally obviously, not taking Communion makes attendance at Mass less important to me... whether that's because I feel that Communion is the focal point of the Mass, and it doesn't hold the same visceral appeal for me without being able to partake, or whether that's because I'm farther from God's grace without partaking of his Life-giving bread.

I can't go to Communion when it's against the rules ... even when I'm not sure that I agree with those rules. It would feel blasphemous, as if I'm not respecting the very Church that taught me of transubstantiation, as if I have no respect for the Body of Christ as Church and as Host.

I guess I'm going to have to head off to Confession again, and make that same resolution over again. And pray for the determination to see that resolution through. The problem is, I feel guilty for forcing my non-Catholic partner to abstain with me. Guilty if I do, guilty if I don't. It's certainly a common enough Catholic problem. I should count myself lucky that I am getting married in a few months. Some people are in the same dilemma as myself, without an end to its duration. What if my partner were a woman? What if I didn't want to get married? Then I'd have problems. Kind of makes me feel guilty for griping about my little issue.

There's that guilt again.

4 Comments:

  • I remember those days! My girlfriend (& later, my wife) wasn't Catholic. Even after we got married, it was tough to be a disciplined mass-goer when she could care less about it. It was like that a good 5 or 6 years at least. Then slowy, little by little it changed. Having children has a *lot* to do with that, I think.

    When I went to confession last year at my annual retreat, I talked about some nagging, recurring stuff. The priest gave me a penance - just keep working at it, he said. Just keep working at it.

    By Blogger Steve Bogner, at 6:23 p.m., June 28, 2005  

  • If it's any consolation - and I know it probably isn't, much - there are better reasons for abstaining from sex before marriage than that a bunch of fuddie-duddies want to spoil your fun.

    I know this because we didn't, and we ran into a lot of trouble later because of that.

    Marriage is all about promises, commitment, and total self-giving. And sex is closely tied in there, because one of the promises we marrieds make to each other is that we won't have sex with anyone else. Ever. You'll find that people take that very seriously.

    No, not even "Just This Once" with that guy who is so gentle and attractive and your husband is out of town and you haven't been getting along so well anyway lately. (If you don't think this temptation will ever happen, I have news for you. Count on it. It's coming.)

    But if you're having sex without total commitment now (and you are) well, then, this whole thing gets blurred up in everyone's mind. What does sex mean anyhow? Is it fun and a sign of love but not commitment now, and later on it magically changes at the marriage ceremony? That doesn't work.

    Don't just stop doing it. Talk to your fiance about it, talk about what you want your sexual lives together to mean to both of you.

    There will almost certainly be long periods - more than "a few months" - in the future when you will have to do without sex. Might as well get in practice, it's a good cause.

    By Blogger Susan, at 12:37 p.m., July 05, 2005  

  • Thank you, That actually does make so much more sense than anything I've thought of. Maybe I can stay "on the wagon" if I think of it that way. Brian and I talked about it last night, and I told him what you'd said. I think he understands it in a fuller way, too. He's not Catholic, so it is hard for him to just blindly obey a rule that he didn't understand. And for me too. I think you've helped us both give it a bit more meaning.

    By Blogger Catholic of Conscience, at 10:01 a.m., July 07, 2005  

  • catholic, the rules that don't make sense, break them. But this one does make sense, trust me. You have many many years ahead of you. (We were married in 1966, if you can imagine that.) A few months is nothing much in that perspective. What you want is love and commitment for the long run, for life. For life, long as that is. We have four children now, and three grandchildren, unimaginable as that is to you. My grandson comes up to me and looks at me, and I see my son, born when I was 22, looking out of his eyes, child that he is, unknowing.

    For the times your husband or you are out of town on business for several weeks. Or months. For the times you hate the sight of the guy. (This won't happen? Trust me, it will happen.) For the times he hates the sight of you. For the months of pregnancy and childbirth and nursing. For the times of illness, when one of you is too sick for sex. For dying. "Until death separates us."

    This is a huge huge thing to say to anyone, mortal as we are. How dare we make such a promise?

    We dare in love, in the love that is bigger than the moment's satisfaction, in the love that will endure the deprivation of that satisfaction for months or years, for love's sake.

    Love is stronger than death. Make it that love between you and your beloved. And God bless you and your children and grandchildren forever.

    By Blogger Susan, at 8:57 p.m., July 07, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home