.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Catholic of Conscience

Thursday, April 14, 2005

Catholic New Times Banned by Ontario Bishop

From Lifesite.net:

Pembroke Bishop Richard Smith, the current President of the Ontario Conference of Catholic Bishops, has banned the dissident Catholic New Times newspaper from parishes in his diocese. "I am hereby directing any parish that facilitates distribution of this newspaper to cease doing so immediately," wrote Bishop Smith in a letter to all pastors dated February 11.

The February edition of the 'Catholic New Times' "editorial comment contains views which are clearly at odds with the teaching of the church on faith and morals," Bishop Smith said. "In my judgement, it is not appropriate to have copies of this newspaper made available through our parishes, as this could be interpreted as diocesan approbation of its views."

This is, in my opinion, irrational. The Catholic New Times is a publication which supports social justice and educated opinion. Its philosophy is one of tolerance, in the spirit of Vatican II, which made impressive reforms to the Church. More reform is necessary, and the writers and editors of CNT make socially progressive and fair pronouncements to that effect.

Christ made apostles of the poor, the misjudged, society's forgotten and downtrodden. He made friends of prostitutes, of lepers. He displayed considerable anger to the rich Pharisees, to the religious leaders who thought themselves above the poor and disenfranchised. He preached tolerance, understanding. When his apostles judged others, he bid them to look first to their own behaviour, before judging their fellows.

Why do you see the speck in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, "Friend, let me take out the speck in your eye," when you yourself do not see the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye.

Luke 6:41

So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

John 8:7

The Gospel teaches tolerance -- something that should be practiced by those who believe homosexuality to be a sin. For myself, I do not believe it to be a sinful action. And I think that those who do believe it to be evil, are terribly inconsistent.

Do not approach a woman to have sexual relations during the uncleanness for her monthly period. Do not have sexual relations with your neightbour's wife and defile yourself with her...Do not have sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman; that is detestable ...

Everyone who does any of these detestable things -- such persons must be cut off from their people. Keep my requirements and do not follow any of the detestable customs that were practiced before you came and do not defile
yourselves with them. I am the Lord your God.

Leviticus 18:19-30

I believe (or at least I hope) that I would be hard-pressed to find a member of the Catholic right who believes that having sex during menstruation is sinful. And even adultery, which most people would believe is immoral, does not seem to hold the stigma of homosexuality for these "believers." And yet, Leviticus certainly does not give a hierarchy of sin in this list. There are many sexual "sins" mentioned, and none seem to be counted by God as worse than any other. Why then, are Catholics allowed to have their marriages anulled and to remarry? Why, when someone is "living in sin," do Catholics not protest? Why do these things not hold the stigma of homosexuality?

My opinion is that homosexuality is the easiest-defined. We can create a real "us" and "them" with homosexuality. 'I am not homosexual. I am not tempted to this "sin." I am, however, tempted to have sex while unmarried, while on my period. I can even be tempted to have sex extramaritally. I am uncomfortable viewing these as sinful. I do not want to be ostracized for these sins. Homosexuality, however, not being a temptation for me, is very easily stigmatized as evil. It will never happen to me. I can very easily define homosexuals as "those people," as "them." And I am comfortable judging their activity as sinful, comfortable that in my position as heterosexual, I will never have to suffer that particular stigma. In this position of privilege, I can afford to be inconsistent in my views.' I think this is where homophobia begins. And I hate that.

There is a positive outcome about Bishop Smith banning the CNT from parishes in his dioceses. This decision will possibly afford CNT a moment of media time that it may otherwise not have enjoyed. Perhaps CNT will reach a broader audience as an outcome, and more people will be introduced to the idea of Catholicism with a social conscience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home